Monday 15 October 2012

20 weeks to go...


Well with 20 weeks to go to my 7 x 7 Adventure, this week included.....


ON THE TRAINING FRONT
Total km for the week - 35km
Total Hours for the week (includes running, swimming, kettlebells) - 6h20m

MONDAY 8th October 2012: 300m Swim Thompsons Bay
Gentle 6 lengths in Tidal pool

Charlie's Tidal Pool, Thompsons Bay,
Ballito, South Africa
A stroll on the beach...I didn't want to
leave the beach it was amazing!
On Monday I did 6 lengths in the Olympic length "Charlies Tidal Pool" at Thomsons Bay, which is just a couple of steps away from home. I have not swam lengths in months...actually in years, so I am just easing my way back into swimming.  I generally prefer to stay with my feet grounded on solid foundations...But I know that swimming is really good cross-training for running...especially Antarctica training! So I made sure I kept my head above water to avoid seeing any freaky creepy crawlies! Once I was out the pool, I walked along the edge and saw some beautiful black & silver stripy fish.  I thoroughly enjoyed my first pool session!

Just a bit of info..."Charlie's Olympic size Tidal Pool" was built in 1962 by one of the areas earliest Ballito settlers, Charles de Charmoy.

TUESDAY 9th October 2012: 8km Hilly Salt Rock Run

My usual trick to survive my runs is to walk the hills and run all flats and downs, so today I made sure I ran each and every hill to the TOP! Whoo-ha I was exhausted but it felt so good!



WEDNESDAY 10th October 2012: 1st Kettlebells Class 

Well well well, I have heard so much about Kettlebells I had to try it...WOW what a work out! I was exhausted and my arms felt like jelly...it made me realise just how weak my arms and core really are.

This is going to help my running so much! Thanks Flux!
I started with small weights and as I get stronger and used to the moves I will progress to much bigger weights!


THURSDAY 11th October 2012: 7km run including boardwalk, beach & BALLITO Steps!

A tough 7km run, we started on the boardwalk which is great, then onto the beach sand which as I mentioned last week is really hard and works every leg muscle! And as if that wasn't tough enough, once we were off the beach, we headed for THE BALLITO steps. 1 flight is 240 steps! We did 2 sets of those and my legs were shaky and jelly-like! Our aim is to manage 10 sets in 1 training session!

Have a look in the background of the picture and you'll see the steps just keep going!



Friday 12th October 2012: MUCH NEEDED REST DAY ;)

SATURDAY 13th October 2012: 15km slow hilly run along the coast

On Saturday we had an early start, 5 am.  I did a slow hilly 15km along the coast with Harry (Harry was doing 32km). We went from Ballito through Shakas Rock, Salt Rock to Sheffields Christmas Bay and back again. It is a beautiful run and to top it off we saw a lovely school of dolphins.

SUNDAY 14th October 2012: Gentle 5km recovery run on the boardwalk

The highlight of this run was seeing a whale breaching in the distance!

So all in all, a great week of training and each week I will be building on this and slowly adding distance to my long runs!


Highlights from this week
  • I had a chat with our local news paper,  North Coast Courier, and they will be publishing an article in the paper this week!
  • Seeing the dolphins & whale on my runs
  • Starting kettle bells with Flux
  • Getting into swimming training
  • Great to have my training back on track!

Fundraisers on the go for Oceanites (ww.oceanites.org)

1. Durban Barnyard 9th Nov 2012
For those in the Durban, KZN, South Africa area, I am having a Barnyard fundraiser on 9th Nov 2012 - tickets are R125 and the show is "The 7 Wonders of the Musical World", please e-mail if you would like to book tickets! Larasheart77@gmail.com

2. I've donated my birthday to Oceanites. 
If you would like to wish me a happy birthday for 28th November the details are below: 
Lara Kruiskamp
FNB Savings Account
Account Number: 62065491682
Branch Code: 250655

I am in the process of starting an NPO so using this account in the interim.

There is a 5 year waiting list to do Antarctica Marathon but 1 spot for 2013 as a fundraiser for NPO Oceanites and thats me! So really hoping to achieve my target of R200 000 so I can Run 7 x 7 in 1 year for change in SA!

Weekly Inspiration...


Have an awesome week
Lara
Kruger Park Skukuza half marathon
4th August 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment